Located in Sydney’s dynamic inner west, Spence Pearson Architects is a small practice with extensive experience in residential design. Mark Spence and Bill Pearson graduated from Sydney University in 1970 and have since worked regularly in partnership in one form or another. Prior to 1984 Mark worked for Ancher Mortlock Murray & Woolley and Philip Cox & Partners and Bill practised in Finland. In 1984 they joined GW Rothwell & Associates as principal architects focusing exclusively on medium to high density residential projects. As the architectural arm of Winten Property Group, GWR was responsible for many of Sydney’s more successful medium density developments – from small boutique projects like 22 Wylde Street Potts Point to major developments such as the Forum towers at St Leonards Station. In 2000 Mark and Bill formed Spence Pearson Architects, utilising their considerable residential design experience in the context of a more compact and focused practice. Bill retired from the practice in 2013.
Spence Pearson Architects’ core philosophy is that architecture must be driven above all by the needs of its users. As a consequence, functional planning and the maximisation of views, light, privacy and comfort – combined with a creative design ethic that eschews style for its own sake – define SPa’s practice and have been at the heart of their success in the residential market. Recognised for their integrity and experience and with a track record for creating highly liveable spaces SPa continue to provide a growing client base with well mannered architecture appropriate to our time.
In our role as development consultants to our clients we are constantly involved in feasibility studies, master planning, presale philosophies and general advice on the preliminary processes that are the inevitable prelude of any development in this post GFC economic environment. We estimate that 50% of our time is spent on the analysis of projects that do not come to fruition.
Fortunately we enjoy solving the development puzzle as much as we do seeing a building through to completion and have been prepared to accept speculative exercises for our clients in the knowledge that eventually they will find one that works!
Mark Spence, Director
Over 10 years Spence Pearson Architects have built a substantial reputation for their design work for a range of clients, from individuals, to development companies, to joint venturers. Drawing on their significant experience, the practice offers expertise across a broad spectrum of professional skills including:
- A focus on in-house core planning and design. This and the small size of the practice ensures a high level of one-on-one client liaison throughout all phases of the evolution of a building. Contract documentation is generally completed in association with other architectural firms.
- A solid understanding of the development process and the economic rationale of residential development, a result of the practice’s acknowledged track record of successful collaboration with development companies.
- Wide experience with local councils including extensive knowledge of council planning requirements and their implications for individual projects.
- Considerable client advocacy experience including client representation at local council level.
- A design methodology that recognises the importance of integrating hand drawing and model building with computer design skills (Vector Works) in the creative process.
- An appreciation of the extent to which the requirements and expectations of a project’s targeted market should inform the design and planning process.